Participatory Budgeting is Back!
The City of Cambridge has launched the 9th Cycle of Participatory Budgeting (PB9) and collected 1,320 ideas from the Cambridge community between June and July about how to spend $1 million on one-time capital projects to improve Cambridge. From August 2022 through November 2022, volunteer Budget Delegates will research all submitted project ideas and develop the final proposals for the December 1-11, 2022 PB9 vote, in which all Cambridge residents age 12 and older will be able to participate.
Projects are eligible for funding if they:
- Benefit the public
- Are capital projects (something bought or built)
- Are one-time expenditures that cost $1 million or less
- Are implemented by the City of Cambridge on City property (streets, sidewalks, parks, libraries, schools, youth centers, senior centers, municipal buildings, etc.)
What is PB?
Participatory Budgeting is a democratic process through which community members directly decide how to spend part of a public budget. The City hopes that PB will help directly involve residents in the budgeting and City-building process, foster civic engagement and community spirit, and help ensure that the City’s Capital Plan reflects the priorities of Cambridge residents. This PB cycle, the City will set aside $1 million of the FY24 Capital Budget for one-time capital projects to improve the community.
- June 1 - July 31, 2022 - Community members brainstorm and submit IDEAS about how to spend $1 million of the City's FY24 Budget on capital projects to improve Cambridge
- August - November 2022 - Volunteer PB delegates will work in committees to research and develop submitted ideas into project proposals for the PB Ballot.
- November 2022 - City staff vet proposals for FEASIBILITY and COST.
- December 2022 – Residents VOTE on which projects they’d like the City to fund. All Cambridge residents age 12 and older can vote, regardless of citizenship status.
- December 2022 - RESULTS are announced and winning projects are included in the City’s FY24 Capital Budget.
- July 2023 onward - Winning projects are implemented.
Check out the StoryMap of past winning PB projects
Click here to see our StoryMap that displays all of the winning projects from PB1, PB2, PB3, PB4, PB5, and PB6. *This map will be updated in 2022.
You can learn more about winning projects from past cycles by exploring our PB Cycles tab.
Some Images provided by the Participatory Budgeting Project.