The City is setting aside $700,000 in FY18 capital funds for the third PB cycle, an increase of $100,000 from the second PB process. Projects are eligible for funding if they meet the following criteria:
Are capital projects, which usually involve infrastructure improvements (as opposed to operating projects, which usually fund salaries and services)
- Infrastructure is usually physical, but not always. IT-related projects, such as developing an app or expanding free public Wi-Fi, are eligible.
- Most capital projects have some sort of associated operating cost. Projects that would require the City to hire additional staff are not eligible.
- Are one-time expenditures that cost $700,000 or less
- Benefit the public
Are implemented by the City of Cambridge on City property (streets, sidewalks, parks, libraries, schools, youth centers, senior centers, municipal buildings, etc.)
- Projects on Cambridge Housing Authority, DCR, and MBTA property are not eligible.
- PB funding cannot be used to make a grant to a nonprofit organization.
Before being submitted to the public vote, all projects must be approved by the City Manager to ensure they meet all of the legal requirements of capital projects.